Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Project not maintained
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-04 13:59:36

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> Since you convert the input value, possibly even losing information, this
> is no longer about endian conversion but rather serialization. At least,
> that's not what I expect from an endian library.

Once again, my point is that this interface handles representational
differences as well as mere endianness differences. There is no
(interface-imposed) need to make the library not work.

Yes, if your platform's float can't be represented exactly in IEEE 32 bit,
or if IEEE 32 bit can't be represented exactly in your platform's float, the
roundtrip will not be perfect. Making the library not work purely out of
spite is of no help though. The file still has 32 bit IEEE little-endian
floats in it and you're expected to read or produce it. This is the task
that the library is supposed to solve.