Subject: Re: [boost] [Root Pointer] New Documentation
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-10 22:05:51

On 4/10/16 4:58 PM, Vladimir Batov wrote:
> Phil,

> To begin with, I feel that your main argument in favor of your library
> compared to the std::shared_ptr is that your library takes care of
> cycles.

This is my take on the library from a quick reading of the
documentation. So as far as I'm concerned you've passed the first major
hurdle that most submitters can't pass. You've managed to summarize the
purpose and motivation for the library succintly enough for someone to
determine in a couple of minutes whether it addresses a problem that he
currently has. I should say that documentation for many boost library
fail to do this - so in this sense you are ahead of the game.

  I am personally yet to be convinced that the cycles-related
> problem is actually as big as you make it. More so, std::shared_ptr does
> manage cycles with weak_ptr and discipline. ;-)

And as I see it, this is the crux of the debate. Does the facility if
offers worth the extra "overhead" that any library entails? Well,
that's what we're here to debate!

Robert Ramey