Subject: Re: [boost] [Coroutine] What happened to WINFIBERS?
From: Mikhail Strelnikov (mikhail.strelnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-11 06:06:58

1) Calling functions like GetModuleFileName, GetTimeZoneInformation
without BOOST_USE_WINFIBERS
was leading to crash in the past (see
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10657 ). Looks like it is fixed
now, but will this fix work in future Windows versions? Can they change
something in Windows 11 so that old application using Boost.Context will
crash?

2) I have an application that (knowing BOOST_USE_WINFIBERS is on) uses
::GetCurrentFiber().
Could you please recommend on how to migrate it to upcoming
Boost? execution_context::current looks promising, but it is only available
in v1, not in v2 (which is default). Should I compile
with BOOST_EXECUTION_CONTEXT=1? What is disadvantage of this?

3) There is CreateFiberEx that allows to reserve for example 1GB (x64) of
memory for fiber stack, but commit only small portion of it. Isn't this
good alternative for segmented stacks on Windows?

4) Could Boost.Context be made header-only using Windows fibers?

5) MS can add fibers support to VS debugger, or add performance counters
related to fibers.