Subject: Re: [boost] [Root Pointer] New Documentation
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-13 02:02:38

On 4/12/16 7:56 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:
> On 04/11/2016 10:31 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> On 4/10/16 6:13 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:
>>
>> I think this advice is misguided. I don't think that promoting your
>> submission in this way will be successful. Basically you need to make a
>> compelling case for someone who has the problem you're addressing.
>>
>> I had a lot to say about just this topic in my presentation at CppCon
>> 2014: How you can make a Boost Library
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACeNgqBKL7E
>
> Thanks Robert, I just watched the presentation and I can see I might be
> missing documentation on the templates but it's pretty obvious in my
> case what a root_ptr<> must use.

LOL - it's ALWAYS obvious to the author.

But think about it. If I want to use root_ptr<T> what are the
requirements on T. Does it have to be copiable?, movable?, default
constructable?. Does it have to support any special calls. Does it
have to support delete T. What if T is an array, will it still work?
Can T be a constant? For what kinds of T will code fail to compile?
Can I copy a root_ptr<T> to T* ? What about vice versa?

Documenting the type requirements will go a long way toward addressing
the reservations previously raised.

Robert Ramey