Subject: Re: [boost] [Root Pointer] New Documentation
From: work (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-13 05:04:32

On 2016-04-13 16:27, Oswin Krause wrote:
>>> I put emphasis here on the resulting amount of lines of code
>>> necessary
>>> to implement something because I think that's the most important
>>> factor.
>>> I have shown that the implementation of a basic list using root_ptr
>>> takes no more than 30 lines of code.
>>
>> Hmmm - but I can use std::list<std::shared_ptr<T>> in just one line of
>> code.
>
> Read the above as "I can >implement< a basic list by the means of
> root_ptr in 30 lines of code. NOT a list STORING root_ptr.

... And that's a repeated and unfortunate pattern. Every time the author
gives an example of potentially useful application of root_ptr I feel
like "why would I want that instead of the existing standard
components?". The author might well implement a basic list in 30 lines
but who'd want that when std::list is already available. Could that be
that root_ptr is 20 years late? :-)