Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-13 20:14:53

P F wrote:
> > Where does Config depend on Core? In limits_test.cpp?
>
> Yes, here is a rough list of all the includes outside of config in the
> tests:
> $ grep -r "#include <boost/" . | grep -v boost/config | sort -u

Most of those are Config's, except

> ./cstdint_test.cpp:#include <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp>
> ./cstdint_test2.cpp:#include <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp>
> ./limits_test.cpp:#include <boost/core/lightweight_test.hpp>
> ./limits_test.cpp:#include <boost/detail/lightweight_main.hpp>
> ./math_info.cpp:#include <boost/type_traits/alignment_of.hpp>

We haven't been looking at test dependencies, just at the include
dependencies - they were enough of a mess but are better now. Source
dependencies are a superset of those, and test dependencies are the worst.
Source dependencies only matter if you want to build the libraries (which
means always, except for binary modular distributions) and test dependencies
only matter if you want to run the tests (which means not very often.)

Fixing Config's tests to not depend on anything would basically require
reimplementing lightweight_test there, which might not be that bad in
principle, but that will not matter much for the big picture unless all
libraries drop Boost.Test in favor of something that does not depend on
anything Boost.