Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-14 12:40:03

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 11:11:44 AM UTC-5, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Paul Fultz II wrote:
> >> bpm doesn't have a problem with cycles because it doesn't have a
> separate
> >> install step.
> >
> > However, bpm can't remove or update a library either.
>
> It can remove, actually. Updating is not required because it only targets
> specific Boost release and does not version libraries separately.

How does it know what files are associated with which library? It seems more
difficult to figure that out installing all the libraries together.

> To remove a cycle without -f, you need to remove all libraries that
> participate in the cycle in a single step, otherwise it complains about
> not
> being able to remove a library that is still being depended on.
>
> > cget can auto install the dependecies as well.
>
> Yes, that's what I was asking.
>
> > Currently, it grabs dependencies listed in a requirements.txt file,
> which
> > it will do a `cget install` on everything listed there.
>
> So you depend on the library maintaining up-to-date dependency information
> in requirements.txt? Is this file cget-specific, or is it some existing
> convention?

It is cget-specific. Channels will provide a non-intrusive way to get
dependencies. Although, I don't think its unreasonable for a library to
track
its own dependencies.

> > Test dependencies can be distinguished as well, so they are only
> installed
> > when doing something like `cget install --test boostorg/config`.
>
> Yes, and then you need to decide f.ex. when removing Core do you allow it
> while Config is still there, because this would break Config's tests but
> they may not be needed anymore.

This is a good point. The test dependencies shouldn't be tracked as
dependants
when they are installed. This way when a test dependency is removed it won't
remove the package that was used test with it.