Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-14 17:23:06

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 1:31:36 PM UTC-5, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Paul Fultz II wrote:
> > Doesn't boost install into the standard ${PREFIX}/include and
> > ${PREFIX}/lib directories?
>
> "b2 install" does, yes.
>
> > I don't understand how bpm will remove the headers and the libs that
> were
> > installed for a module.
>
> bpm (which is as of yet still a toy and is not being used) doesn't install
> into $PREFIX/include and $PREFIX/lib. The use case is that you choose a
> directory in which to put Boost and it downloads the libraries there. It
> doesn't have an install step that copies the headers and the libraries
> into
> a systemwide location.

Thats what I though it did. So at the same time, it doesn't have a way to
remove libraries after they have been installed. It gets a little more
complicated keep track of which files goes to which library when they all
install at the same time.

> That's more of a Windows workflow, where there is no systemwide location
> for
> libraries, so one just puts them wherever convenient; but given that most
> Linux distros already have their own Boost in /usr/include and /usr/lib, a
> typical case for installing by hand would be to use a newer release which
> one might also want to put not in /usr/{include,lib}. So whether you
> download somewhere and copy to $PREFIX == /opt/boost-1.61.0 (say) or
> download directly into $PREFIX makes not much of a difference.
>
> > Yes, but having a tool to retrieve these requirements could change the
> way
> > libraries are tested. Instead they can be tested against just its
> > dependencies using `cget build --test` instead of needing a full
> checkout.
>
> That's a good point. Decentralizing the tests might be a good idea.

Plus the libraries can take advantage of travis and appveyor for testing.