Subject: Re: [boost] Need to use SHA1 implementation in boost
From: Thijs van den Berg (thijs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-18 07:21:19

On 18 April 2016 at 13:03, Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Thijs van den Berg <thijs_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > Maybe it's a good idea to release you version using the std::hash (or
> > boost:hash) interface, although a separte library of common predefined
> hash
> > function would be a more natural place for it?
>
> We've got a proposal winding its way through the C++ standard process
> which provides a new interface to computing hashes on objects suitable
> for use with unordered containers:
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n3980.html
>
> The problem is that while these interfaces are great for the purposes
> of generating 32-bit or 64-bit digests for hash tables, they are
> deficient for cryptographic purposes (i.e. producing a message
> authentication code). For example, regular std::hash doesn't deal with
> endiannes. But computing a cryptographic digest must yield the same
> results on all platforms, and therefore cares about endianness.

maybe that could also belong in a generic function that converting native
integers to some endian specific digests? Whatever the answer, I think the
most pragmatic way forward for you would be to put it in your personal
detail and postpone this side discussion of a widening the scope of
your library (proving a public SHA1) to later?