Subject: Re: [boost] Ordering the header files in the library's doxygen reference
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-22 10:00:51

On 4/22/2016 8:11 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

I tried doing standalone doxygen and the order of header files for which
it was generating docs is again different from the order of header files
in which parses for its information. The latter matches the order I
specify for the doxygen INPUT configuration. Therefore it is essentially
processing the files exactly the same whether I use the Boost build
jamfile or standalone doxygen.

Where things are different is in the final documentation. In the Boost
build generated final documentation the reference is a flat list of
header files in the generated docs order. In the standalone doxygen
final documentation the header files are presented in a tree-like
structure off of the include directory so there is no sense of the
generated docs order being out of order from how I want an end-user to
view them. That is probably why no one using doxygen cares about the
generated order being different from the INPUT order. In Boost build the
output from doxygen goes into an .xml file which is further processed to
produce the reference section. In doxygen standalone the output I
generate is HTML using doxygen's own format for generating the HTML
output. I could of course tell doxygen standalone to generate xml, but I
am sure it will be the same xml file as Boost build generates and then
processes in its own way.

> Or could it work if you use a wild card to select all the files in one jamfile item like
>
> [ glob ../../../boost/your_lib/*.hpp ]

How can that ever be the right way to get the alphabetical order I want
? After all its the fact that I am purposely specifying the order of
INPUT headers I want by listing each file in the doxygen rule in Boost
build which should, at least theoretically produce the correct order.
using a glob can only make specifying the order more random.