Subject: Re: [boost] CMake - one more time
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-22 13:42:37

> [...]
>

>> c) CMake is indispensable to me:
>>
>> * it creates IDE projects for "any?" platform. I use IDE alot.
>> * everyone else uses it - so it makes it easier to promote my work to
>> others.
>> * it's easier to make work - still a pain though
>> * There is lots of information, around the net about how to use CMake,
>> how easy it is etc. Although they help when you're looking for an
>> answer (which is all the time) - they really betray how complex,
>> arbitrary and complex the system is.
>> * It has an almost of idiot proof GUI version which I use a lot. I
>> really like this.
>> * CMake is well maintained and supported by it's promoters.
>
> So what I do now is also that: I am maintaining my CMakeLists.txt, for the purpose of having a proper development environment, but it has no other purpose at all. Also I have to say that it does not work well with this horrible "b2 header": in my cmake, I am hitting the headers of the library (in libX/include), and not of the main superproject. My IDE shows me 2 different files because of that. But apart from that, it is good enough (and yes, I have one CMakeLists.txt for the build+doc+test, I do not see any good reason for splitting that).
>

>> d) Boost Build
>> * either just works (great!) or doesn't. If it doesn't it's almost
>> impossible fix without getting help
>> * I've never run across anyone outside of boost who uses it. It makes
>> it harder to promote my work.
>> * It's natural to compose projects into "super projects"
>> * it's almost impossible to integrate with and IDE. At one time, I had
>> things setup so I could debug executables created with boost build with
>> the Visual Studio IDE and debugger. But it was just too fragile and
>> time consuming to keep everything in sync.
>> * it has a lot of "automatic" behavior which can be really, really
>> confusion. A small example: you've got multiple compilers on your
>> system. When it discovers this, it just picks the "best" one and you
>> don't know which one you got until the project builds (or not). I'm
>> sure this was implemented this way to make usage of boost build "simple"
>> but it has the opposite effect. Much better would be fail immediately
>> with a message "multiple compilers found:... use toolset=<compiler name>
>> to select desired one."
>
> I do not like the current state of b2 for many reasons (even though I think it could be really a good build system), but CMake is not covering many features that are currently required by the boost superproject. Until the point where we can consistently build the lib (including the possibly many flavor of the same library - STATIC/SHARED at the same time, etc), run the tests, and generate the documentation (including the possibility to have the boostdoc/quickbook/doxygen toolchain), I do not see any *good* reason to move to cmake.

Cmake can do all that you listed there. In addition, I found its easy to generate targets at configure time. So the Fit library actually adds additional tests to test examples and header files. Plus, I can create configuration headers based on whether a something compiles or runs. I believe BB can do the same using virtual targets or something, but I haven’t clearly figured it out.

Finally, for boost, it could provide some high-level cmake functions so all of these things can happen consistently across libraries.