Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] CallableTraits: 47 traits and metafunctions for "callable" types
From: Barrett Adair (barrettellisadair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-29 18:55:20

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 4/18/2016 7:12 PM, Barrett Adair wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm working on a project called CallableTraits [1]. Is there any interest
>> in adding this to Boost? I think it would work well as an extension to
>> Boost.TypeTraits.

[snip]

>> Barrett
>>
>> [1]: http://badair.github.io/callable_traits/doc/html/index.html
>

> It sounds exciting ! Please take a look at the current Boost
function_types library, which works with a number of callable types. You
may want to distinguish your library from what function_types currently
offers in your documentation.

I'll devote a section early in the documentation to make distinctions. In
the meantime:

There is certainly a lot of crossover. The main difference between
CallableTraits is that FunctionTypes is tightly coupled to the MPL.
CallableTraits approaches function type construction/decomposition as a
much lower-level problem.

Here [1] is my write-up and re-implementation of FunctionTypes' interface
example. The new version allows for a more familiar and fluid syntax. The
only known trade-off is that my version uses an implementation-defined
reinterpret_cast (more discussion in the linked gist).

Thanks,
Barrett

[1]: https://gist.github.com/badair/7dc7b438c0f1e314d7cd1d90e6f4a3ad