Subject: Re: [boost] Request for a "Policy Review" regarding 'CMakeLists.txt'
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-16 10:31:26

On 5/15/16 8:32 PM, David Sankel wrote:

> We recommend and propose that the Boost Guidelines are modified to
> allow library authors, at their own discretion, to include a
> 'CMakeLists.txt' file in their library's top-level directory.

Hmmm - as far as I understand it, any policy has been a requirement that
libraries include build, src, doc and test directories and that that
these include boost build scripts. I don't think that "policy" has ever
prohibited including anything else at the author's discretion. The
serialization library has a number of "extra" top level directories:
test_util, performance, cmake. A number of libraries have stuff in the
doc directory which is special. It doesn't have a top level cmake file
because I chose not to do this, not because I thought it violated some
"policy". I've been doing this for many years.

So I don't there's a lot to discuss.

Though it's off topic - CMake isn't all that much better than boost
build - actually it's not even comparable as it doesn't do the the same
thing.

Robert Ramey