Subject: Re: [boost] Request for a "Policy Review" regarding 'CMakeLists.txt'
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-17 02:46:07

On 16/05/2016 06:32, David Sankel wrote:
> A question has been brought up regarding whether or not a Boost library
> author is permitted to include a 'CMakeLists.txt' file in the root of the
> directory. This stemmed from a discussion at C++Now 2016 which included
> several members of the Boost Steering Committee and a sampling of the Boost
> community.
>
> We recommend and propose that the Boost Guidelines are modified to
> allow library authors, at their own discretion, to include a
> 'CMakeLists.txt' file in their library's top-level directory.

Just to clarify, you are proposing that a library author may add CMakeLists.txt at
the top level, while Jamfile is required to be in the 'build' subdirectory?

I am strongly -1 about such an arrangement - it makes unofficial build system more
prominently visible than the official one, and we already had the situation where
Kitware folks were mentioning Boost as CMake user based on random unofficial branches.

--
Vladimir Prus
http://vladimirprus.com