Subject: Re: [boost] Request for a "Policy Review" regarding 'CMakeLists.txt'
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-18 14:52:16

On 18/05/2016 20:20, Paul Fultz II wrote:

>> The original post on the thread stated:
>>
>> "We recommend and propose that the Boost Guidelines are modified to
>> allow library authors, at their own discretion, to include a
>> 'CMakeLists.txt' file in their library's top-level directory."
>>
>> Leave aside the fact this as far as I know this has never been
>> prohibited. It seems that the request is that the stated policy
>> incorporate the above text and that no one has actually argued against
>> this. It seems to me that you're getting exactly what been asked for.
>

> Rene has made it clear that it was prohibited by the guidelines, and
> Vladimir is opposed to it.

I am specifically opposed to permitting cmake stuff at root level of
a library while requiring that Boost.Build files are in the 'build' directory.
This objection can be addressed by either allowing all of that at the root
(not really facetious suggestion), or by requiring that all build files
be under 'build' directory - which has the advantage of actually scaling,
and apparently is possible with all possible build systems. In the latter
case the guidelines might be amended to say that library author can add
additional build systems support, though in practice we already have makefiles
and VS solutions and what not.

--
Vladimir Prus
http://vladimirprus.com