Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-21 13:24:22

On 5/21/16 9:46 AM, Joseph Van Riper wrote:

> Our build of boost is slightly unique, in that we must build on Linux with
> -fPIC, static libraries binding to static runtime libraries (I can almost
> see some people rolling eyes and shaking heads, but this decision came
> after quite a lot of thought and consideration for our peculiar needs), so
> if that kind of information is useful, all the better.

Boost libraries are generally expected to support all legal C++
environments static/shared, debug/release, etc... That your environment
is supported but used less widely makes it even more valuable to test.

A weakness of our test matrix display is that it doesn't seem to be able
to display which configuration is actually being tested. It could be
I've got this wrong and the information is in there. If this is the
case I'd appreciate it if someone let me know where it is. Otherwise
I'd like to see the test matrix generation program or testing customs
updated so that this information is available. Sometimes I have a
failure on a specific configuration - visibiity,instantiation, etc. But
the test matrix doesn't seem to reveal that important piece of information.

> I've already
> automated boost updates on the Linux machines we support (Debian build
> machines dating back to Squeeze, although I probably need to make older
> machines). I don't think anyone would complain if I set up an automated
> way to pull down release candidates or the like for automated testing,

develop and master branches

> provided this didn't get in the way for our own efforts (e.g. constant,
> 24-hour-a-day endless testing).

sounds like you're already doing what the work - it's just that we're
not getting the benefit.

> I will look into that.

Thank you.