Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 07:49:22

On 22.05.2016 11:12, degski wrote:
>> I'm running an up-to-date operating system, and I switched to C++ 11 as
>> soon as it became viable. I can do that because I'm an individual.
>> Organizations move more slowly, and the bigger they are, the slower they
>> move.
>

> Not necessarilly, e.g. every Windows OS is built with the (their) latest
> compiler... that's why they make it in the first place (at least in the
> past)...

I'm sure they do. I'm also sure that they have legacy code dating back
a long time, so I don't know how modern their codebase actually is and
how many C++ 14 features they actually use. Presumably they use at most
the subset of C++ 14 that is actually supported by their compiler, which
is a good deal less than full C++ 14.

>> Wikipedia even says, "Visual C++ 6.0 is still quite popular".
>>

> Don't believe everything they say on WP.
>
> The release schedule of gcc is here <https://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html>.
> Now have a look and try to figure out why I thought was pretty funny...
> (hint: the combination of the words "up-to-date" and "gcc 4.8")...

I'm using the latest version of gcc provided by the latest version of my
OS. Using a later version of gcc would require either compiling from
source or switching to another operating system. Yes, it's a shame that
Ubuntu isn't more proactive about making more up-to-date compiler
packages available, but there's nothing I can do about it.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])