Subject: Re: [boost] Rebooting Boost: Call for Lightning Talks @ CppCon
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 08:37:27

Le 22/05/2016 à 13:18, Niall Douglas a écrit :
> At C++ Now a number of informal meetings showed there to be
> frustrations with the current ecosystem around the Boost C++
> Libraries (to paraphrase a founder of Boost, "Boost is supposed to
> serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve
> Boost's community*".
I agree completely.
> Recent and recurrent boost-dev discussions have
> raised the lack of cmake based tooling;
I agree also that we should provide a way to build Boost with CMake.
> lack of ABI management
Agreed, but I don't know how to check this.
> and
> the consequent ODR violation when mixing Boost versions in the same
> process;
I'm not sure this should be something we want to provide. Does the
standard libraries have this goal?
> the anti-social behaviour of Boost towards library end
> users,
Could you elaborate?
> new ideas, new blood and the wider C++ community; and the
> chronic lack of maintenance of up to half the Boost libraries.
>
> One question which needs to be answered is whether a clean reboot of
> Boost from the first principles of proving high quality C++ libraries
> well suited for use with the latest C++ standard is viable. This new
> collection of C++ libraries would be started completely from scratch
> (even if some existing libraries were ported into the new
> organisation), so ANYTHING is possible. All we need is a critical
> mass of library developers willing to collaborate on developing a
> shared infrastructure mutually beneficial to all participants,
> whether library developer or library end user.
Count with me, at least for defining the goals ;-)

> To that end of discovering if this critical mass is there, five
> minute lightning talk topics are requested for CppCon this September
> on this topic:
I'm almost sure I couldn't be there this year :(
> "What design pattern, practice or idiom should a standards aspiring
> collection of C++ 14/17 libraries share?"
I don't see how this is related to Rebooting Boost.
Could you elaborate?
Should the talks address whatever issue concerns Boost and how Rebooting
Boost would solve them?

Best,
Vicente