Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 2.x - (Was Re: Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*)
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 17:21:02

Le 22/05/2016 à 22:51, Edward Diener a écrit :
> On 5/22/2016 4:16 PM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

>>> Many of these are reasonable wishes. But I do not see what having a
>>> Boost version which supports only C++14 on up compilation has to do
>>> with any of them. Care to explain what facilities in C++14 on up is
>>> going to make any of your wishes happen ?
>>>
>> All of them.
>
> All the things you desire are made possible by C++14 features ? A
> modularized set of libraries is made possible by C++14 features ? A
> CMake implementation for a set of libraries is made possible by C++14
> features ? A continuous testing implementation is made possible by
> C++14 features ? A system of analysis and analyzers for code integrity
> are made possible ny C++14 features ?

I suspect that you have not read my message. I said
> Starting a new Boost version supporting only new compilers has two
sides: starting a new version and on new compilers.

All the questions above are unrelated to C++. They are associated to
starting a new Boost version and state new constraints fro this new Boost.

> Or is it that you just feel that if you are part of a team working on
> a new set of libraries dedicated to only the latest C++ standard you
> will have more power to implement what you want to do ?
If you read my message you will see that we can do a lot of things by
resetting the basis, even for C++98.

> I just don't follow that having just C++14 libraries, or even just
> C++11/C++14 libraries, has anything to do with the wishes that you
> have enumerated.
It has to be with a new Boost version with different constraints. I
haven't the energy to start a new Boost version for C++98 compilers. But
I will be for doing it dor C++11/C++14/C++1z.
Vicente