Subject: Re: [boost] [EXTERNAL] Request for a "Policy Review" regarding 'CMakeLists.txt'
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-23 22:15:01

On 24/05/2016 12:21, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>> The way I
>> typically use Boost (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) is to either
>> use the pre-built packages (for Windows or Linux) or if I need something
>> newer, to use B2 to build the complete set of libraries myself and then
>> point other projects at those pre-built versions, rather than to build
>> individual sub-libraries for each project parent.
>
> But then you have to handle the dependencies on your own, unless you use
> bjam all the way through.

On Windows, auto-linking takes care of that -- just point the library
directory at Boost in general and the application will link
successfully. Then I just use a script to detect the linked libraries
(via dumpbin) and copy the corresponding DLLs to somewhere the app will
find them at runtime.

On Linux, you have to explicitly list which libraries you want to link
with in advance. Generally anything that wants to link with Boost will
do that in its own build script though, whatever language that's written
in; so again you just need to point it at the right directory.

There's no header-layer dependencies since Boost is still distributed as
monolithic.