Subject: Re: [boost] proposed new library "histogram"
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-06 17:12:57

Dear Bjorn,

On 6/5/16 4:03 AM, Bjorn Reese wrote:
> I suggest that you use non-intrusive serialization and place that in
> separate headers, so there is no dependency on Boost.Serialization
> unless you need it.
thank you for your comment and your interest in this library! :)

Could you tell me, what would be the advantage of non-intrusive
serialization? Boost.serialization is an integral part of Boost, so I am
not sure why it would be useful to not require Boost.Serialization as a
dependency? Boost.Serialization is used to implement the pickle protocol
in the python interface for this library. So if you want to build the
Python interface, you need Boost.serialization anyway.

The proposed library histogram is modeled after existing libs in Boost.
If you look into include/boost/numeric/ublas/vector.hpp, you will see
that the serialize function is also part of the public interface of
class vector.

In fact, I would like to see more more boost classes with serialize methods.

Best regards,
Hans

--
Hans Dembinski