Subject: Re: [boost] Make libs/maintainers.txt a template file
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-07 08:00:10

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 14:49:48 MSK Daniel James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you haven't noticed, on develop libs/libraries.htm is now a
> template which gets filled in as part of the documentation build. You
> can see the template and generated files at:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/blob/develop/libs/libraries.htm
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/libs/libraries.htm
>
> This will be merged to master pretty soon. The only obstacle is
> updating the website automatically from the latest build, which should
> be happening very soon.
>
> The file libs/maintainers.txt is also automatically updated, but
> that's done in the repo itself, so that you have the full copy in you
> normal checkout. But I'm finding that people don't realise this, and
> we've had a few pull requests to update it manually. So instead, I
> think it might be a good idea to convert it to a template as well.
> This means you won't have a local copy, but will still be able to see
> a reasonably up to date copy online at:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/libs/maintainers.txt
>
> Any objections? I'm think of using similar templates for some other
> files, such as the root index.html (for the version number and new
> libraries).

Having an actual list of maintainers, with emails, would be useful, and I remember using
maintainers.txt for contacting people directly a couple times. If you're going to remove
this list from the file then please provide a similarly obvious way to obtain this
information elsewhere. The page on the website you linked doesn't have emails (which is
probably good) and, frankly, I'm not sure how to reach that page from the main page of
the website.

If there is a page with all the information somewhere then it might be good to put a link
to it to maintainers.txt itself.