Subject: Re: [boost] Additional Test Configurations
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-08 08:13:16

Tom Kent wrote:
> From a lot of the discussing I've seen on the lists, it seems that there's
> a lot of work going into C++ 11/14/1z development. I was thinking it would
> be good to add some of those switches. Which ones? How many?
>
> Baseline Standard
> -std=c++98 (I believe this is the default for all the g++/clang++
> instances above)
> -std=c++11/0x
> -std=c++14/1y
> -std=c++1z

We definitely need those. Testing a recent version of g++ (or any version of
clang) in its default 98 mode isn't very useful. We need c++11 at the very
minimum because without it half of the code isn't tested.

On the other hand, testing all compilers in all modes would be impractical.
Some sort of a compromise needs to be struck, but I'm not sure how.

The rapid configuration should probably be the latest -std supported by a
particular version.

> - cygwin/gcc

This is an undertested configuration so it would probably be nice if it's
added, even though it's not important in practice.