Subject: Re: [boost] [boost.process] 0.6 Alpha
From: Klemens Morgenstern (klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-08 17:42:11

Am 08.06.2016 um 22:32 schrieb Oswin Krause:
> Hi,
>
>> That's not possible, so it won't be in the library. It might be added
>> to the platform-extensions though, i.e. you could have something like
>> the following functions if you include boost/process/posix.hpp or
>> boost/process/windows.hpp (needs to be distinguished by #ifdef)
> I only partially followed the discussion. I think the starting point of
> this was that the library needs a way to kill a child for example to
> prevent a deadlock when a pipe breaks, etc. What would in this case be
> the default behaviour on linux? I would think that a solution would be
> perfectly fine if it behaved as expected on each operating system, even
> if the behaviour is different for the different operating systems.

Well not, that's actually settled. The question is, what happes per
default on constructor call of the child-handle. And that's terminate,
i.e. kill, without any timeout.
The question is if we can have a SIGTERM equivalent on windows, and it
doesn't seem like it. There is a WM_QUIT message, but that's not send to
the process, but its HWNDs, rendering it useless, if you have a console app.