Subject: Re: [boost] Checking interest in stacktrace library
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-18 15:42:58

Klemens Morgenstern <klemens.morgenstern <at> gmx.net> writes:

> Am 18.06.2016 um 12:34 schrieb Antony Polukhin:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got some prototype for getting stack traces:
> > https://github.com/apolukhin/stacktrace
> > It's design is based on the idea that class for stacktrace must be
fully
> > noexcept, without dynamic allocations in constructors and as simple as
> > possible.
> >
> > Is there interest in it?
> > What functionality would you like to have in it?
> >
> I think that'd be great - even more so if you could integrate this with
> boost.test, so I could state an expectation of what my function calls.
> I.e. something like that:
>
> void f(int) {g(); h(); g();};
>
> BOOST_CHECK_CALLS(f(42), g, h, g);

This is specific case for interaction based testing which is usually being
done based on mocks. We would have very hard time to present something more
or less generic without mocks.

That being said, I'd be willing to work closely with anyone interested in
bringing stacktrace to boost and integrate it into Boost.Test. It would be
very useful to report stacks at the point of unexpected exceptions or fatal
errors.

Gennadiy