Subject: Re: [boost] [1.61.0] building with Clang and c++11
From: Chris Glover (c.d.glover_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-01 09:36:30

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 at 04:56 Vladimir Prus <vladimir.prus_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> for context, I don't think Boost C++ Libraries can be expected to build
> without warnings on any compiler these days. There are just too many
> versions of compilers producing warnings in too many ingenious ways.

<snip>

> The warnings above mention the command-line options that will silence
> the warnings. E.g. if you pass -Wno-keyword-macro, the last warning
> should go away. Likewise for other warnings. You might consider
> reporting these warnings to libraries developers.

<snip>

> Seems like clang is unnecessary pedantic here. Though, I don't know why
> container includes .c files - might be worth raising an issue too.
>
> So, the bottom line is that you either have to live with the warnings,
> or disable them with '-Wno-*' options.

For building boost itself, I suggest just living with and ignoring the
warnings.

For consuming boost, I find including boost via -isystem, instead of -I,
useful because I generally don't care about warnings from boost, but might
not want to silence them entirely, or live with them, in my project.

-- chris