Subject: Re: [boost] [boost-process] Beta & Review
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-18 10:12:10

This submission looks like it's heading very much in the right direction.
We really need a standard facility for process launches, and this a Boost
lib is a good first step.

I submitted a PR for a documentation typo, but other than that, I only have
one note. From the docs:

"Async pipes use named pipes on windows. Therefore an exception is thrown
if a pipe was not constructed as a named pipe and is converted to an
async_pipe"

It is widely considered to be bad practice to throw on programmer errors.
It sounds like you should be asserting on invalid async_pipe conversions,
since the precondition for doing so has not been met. Throwing is for
conditions that could not have been fixed at the time the user wrote the
code (like a failed parse of something read off a wire, for instance).

Zach