Subject: Re: [boost] Generating Boost documentation with pandoc
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-22 14:25:12

On 22.07.2016 14:16, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 7/22/16 9:39 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> On 22.07.2016 12:31, Robert Ramey wrote:
>>>
>>> Executive summary: Boost Book is converted by xsltproc to generate
>>> pdf. Try enhancing it to generated epub as well.
>>
>> Yes, the pipeline is BoostBook -> DocBook -> [HTML, PDF, etc.], so
>> generating EPub should be a matter of tuning the last step in that
>> workflow.
>> (As I mentioned earlier, I still have plans to move a substantial chunk
>
>> of BoostBook into DocBook itself, to make it available to users outside
>> Boost and to reduce the maintenance cost for the Boost community. But
>> that will take time...)
>
> I'm really not getting this idea at all. What does this mean? Going
> back an re-editing all the xml based on BoostBook? I can't see the
> point of that as we already have an xsltproc script which does
> BoostBook -> DocBook.
>
> Maybe I just didn't understand what you mean.

BoostBook was invented inside Boost, but to a large extend is useful
outside of Boost. So a few years ago we started an effort to
"standardize" it, i.e. merge it (and by "it" I mean the schema as well
as the stylesheets) into the DocBook project itself.
(Note that some of the BoostBook are actually too specific for a wider
audience, but the parts that aren't should eventually be available as
part of DocBook.

        Stefan