Subject: Re: [boost] [boost-process] Beta & Review
From: Joseph Van Riper (fleeb.fantastique_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-08-05 21:21:44

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM Klemens Morgenstern <
klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> boost-process is now in beta, you can check it out here:
> https://github.com/klemens-morgenstern/boost-process
>
> and read the doc here: http://klemens-morgenstern.github.io/process/
>
> It will probably be in review in the beginning of November, Antony
> Polukhin will be the review manager. I really hope I'll get some
> feedback before that, so I can work on the weak points and also get more
> detailed in the documentation.

I tried at least part of the tutorial on an Ubuntu 16 machine using the git
cloned code you have made available as of today, and I have the following
observations:

   - Your example code suggests you look through a path of some kind for
   the executable, but while trying the code on my own, it did not seem to do
   this. I had to use absolute paths to the executable I wanted to run.
   Which is okay, but it feels like the docs need to manage my expectations a
   bit better there.
   - Your documentation suggests the executable I'd create would terminate
   when the child it spawned ends. I do not see this... my executable hangs
   indefinitely. 'while (c.running() && std::getline(is, line))
   data.push_back(line);' never ends for me. Is this a bug you are currently
   working through, or is there something else that the tutorial may have
   missed?
   - Your documentation doesn't tell me much about boost dependencies. I
   originally tried to work with the boost library one may apt install for
   Ubuntu 16, but it didn't seem your library was compatible with it (or maybe
   I erred somehow). I pulled down boost 1.61 and it compiled with that just
   fine, but I wonder what is the oldest boost library one may use? If
   there's a limit, it probably ought to be mentioned in the documentation,
   since many distributions are terrible about keeping up with the most
   current boost distribution.

- Trey