Subject: Re: [boost] [EXTERNAL] [graph] Sync develop with master?
From: Murray Cumming (murrayc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-08-11 06:08:56

On Do, 2016-08-11 at 04:31 +0000, Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> Just curious, but do you envision supporting the legacy API in the
> new BGL, or will users have to upgrade their code to use the new BGL?

People would probably need to make changes to build against a newer
BGL. For instance, if we removed typedefs, because people can now use
auto (with C++11), and decltype(auto) (with C++14), that would break
code that used those typedefs. But that application code wouldn't need
those typedefs if it was updated to C++11/14 code.

Personally, I'm a long way from deciding to "support" anyone with BGL.
I'm still exploring it myself.

>   Could both API versions exist in a single code base to facilitate
> migration from the old APIs to the new, assuming the APIs break (e.g.
> could we use namespaces to manage different API versions in the same
> code base to allow incremental adoption)?

I guess a BGL2 would be best. There's no point trying to simplify the
code (and make it more maintainable) with C++11/14 just to sprinkle
legacy code throughout it.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc_at_[hidden]