Subject: Re: [boost] [uuid] PR to remove auto-linking to advapi32 when BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB is defined
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-15 12:19:01

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I don't know how to resolve a PR for uuid ( https://github.com/boostorg/uu
> id/pull/11 ). If a library exists only as a DLL and not as a static
> library should BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB still be considered in effect ?
>
> My viewpoint is 'no' but the person who created the PR believes that the
> BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB config macro should turn off any #pragma auto-linking in
> code even when their is no other way to use a library other than as a
> shared library.
>
> What I am afraid of is breaking user code even if BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB is
> defined by producing link errors. But perhaps I am wrong and this should be
> considered justified when BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB is being used.

I agree with the PR. Someone defining BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB expects to have
control of what they are linking. And they expect to get link errors for
libs they need to link it. And it might be they are in the use case where
they are creating a DLL/SO of their own and can incorporate external, in
this case UUID, DLL code themselves.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything