Subject: Re: [boost] first steps to submitting - boost :: observers
From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-18 19:22:33

On 17 Sep 2016 7:18 pm, "Robert McInnis" <r_mcinnis_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> G'afternoon,
>

> This is my first time submitting to a public repo, please be gentle

Welcome to the meat grinder :)

> I'd like to submit a series of classes I have been using since '90. The
> initial set implements a thread safe subject/observer pattern. I have
> included a handful of example programs, two fairly trivial and the third
> more in-depth. All examples are single file examples to make compilation
> trivial.
>

> This is the first re-work of my original tools, making them more
> boost-friendly. I expect to add more default observer templates and
> observable objects, but that will come with time.

I do like the idea. It seems vaguely related to Functional Reactive
Programming (of which I have no experience). It would be nice to have a
discussion of similarities and differences. Possibly this is discussed in
the docs, but they are not immediately accessible via mobile.
I would like thread safety to be optional.

A few quick comments:
* Code conventions do not follow the boost stile.
* Macros are injected outside the BOOST namespace.
* Lock free mutexes aren't.

-- gpd