Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-02 19:55:53

> On Oct 2, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 10/1/2016 8:58 PM, Paul Fultz II wrote:

>>> Thanks!

>>> If you could please be so kind as to create an issue on the Beast
>>> GitHub repository page with the details, I will try to address it
>>> right away:
>>> https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/issues
>>
>> Ok, will do.

>>> Beast is header-only, the Jamfile and CMakeLists.txt are only for
>>> building the unit tests and the examples.
>>
>> Well, cmake should install the library, even its header-only.
>
> Why should CMake "install" a header-only library ?

There are a lot of reasons for this:

1) Cmake can install configured headers in the library(such as a version or config header).

2) Cmake can install packaging information to make it easier to use and link the library. Just because it is header-only doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to link against other libraries.

> Boost does not use CMake and header-only libraries do not need to be "installed”.

Boost.Hana does use cmake and is header-only that is installed with cmake.

Paul