Subject: Re: [boost] [process] Formal Review starts today, 27 October
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-30 11:48:02

On 2016-10-28 09:04, Klemens Morgenstern wrote:
<snip>

> It's not working at all with path, it depends on the OS. The cmd-style
> searches path, while he exe-args style does not. That's the weird
> platform dependent behaviour, I'm not elaborating on enough.
> Boost.Process does not search the path automatically, it just uses the
> defaults of the OS. If you want to search the path, you have the
> search_path function for that, i.e. turn the first line into
>
> boost::filesystem::path p = bp::search_path("python.exe");

So you are suggesting searching the path for the executable and then
running it as a separate step? That sounds like it would introduce a
race condition (if the executable is moved between being found and run)
which could cause execution to fail where it would otherwise succeed
(assuming there is another program with the same name later on the path).

That makes me uncomfortable. At the least, that warrants a warning in
the docs, and I feel it ought to not be the recommended approach.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding; I haven't actually looked at your docs yet.

John