Subject: Re: [boost] [dll] trouble building boost dll with Intel compiler on Windows
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-01 18:50:09

On 11/1/2016 4:21 PM, Blower, Melanie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are having trouble building boost_dll version 1.61 with Intel compiler (version 17.0) on Windows with vs2015 (and other versions of visual studio).
>
> There's a problem because the macro configuration causes alias.hpp to use gnu-like syntax to specify section names: we don't support this syntax in our Windows compiler. Instead, we support "#pragma section" just like the Microsoft compiler.
>
> Alias.hpp would use the "correct" configuration for our Windows compiler "#if BOOST_COMP_MSVC" (reference the file boost/dll/alias.hpp)
>
> However, the file boost/predef/compiler/visualc.hpp sets BOOST_COMP_MSVC to BOOST_VERSION_NUMBER_ZERO which is 0
>
> I propose that alias.hpp could use BOOST_COMP_MSVC_BUILD instead of BOOST_COMP_MSVC. Does that seem reasonable?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Melanie Blower (I work for Intel on the Intel C++ compiler)

If Boost developers could get a free version of Intel C++ on Windows,
purely for the non-commercial task of testing Boost with it, it would be
easier for them to fix things in libraries in order to get it to work.
Although Intel C++ on Linux graciously offers a free version for Boost
developers, none is offered for Intel C++ on Windows.