Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 1.63.0 Release Candidate 1
From: Christian Ullrich (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-12 15:12:55

* Marshall Clow wrote:

> The release candidates for the 1.63.0 release are now available at:

> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.

One thing I mentioned [1] about 1.62 and several older versions, a few
days ago, is also present in this RC:

In the "toolset=msvc-14.0 link=shared runtime-link=shared" build,
several static libraries are built for no discernible reason. As far as
I can tell by watching file system operations (using Sysinternals
procmon), these libraries are not accessed again after creation.

There is nothing documented about this behavior, and I suspect a bug in
the build process.

The unexpected files are:

libboost_chrono-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
libboost_system-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
libboost_timer-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
libboost_unit_test_framework-vc140-mt-1_63.lib

These two are probably expected, because there are no DLLs built for
them at all:

libboost_test_exec_monitor-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
libboost_exception-vc140-mt-1_63.lib

Sorry for harping on this, but I still don't understand what's happening
here, and would really like to.

[1] http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2016/12/86959.php

--
Christian