Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 1.63.0 Release Candidate 1
From: Christian Ullrich (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-13 17:06:08

* Andrey Semashev wrote:

> On 12/12/16 23:12, Christian Ullrich wrote:

>> In the "toolset=msvc-14.0 link=shared runtime-link=shared" build,
>> several static libraries are built for no discernible reason. As far as
>> I can tell by watching file system operations (using Sysinternals
>> procmon), these libraries are not accessed again after creation.

> The same happens on Linux with gcc as well. I think there's a dependency
> on the static build of Boost.Test somewhere and Boost.Timer,
> Boost.Chrono and Boost.System are built as its dependencies. I couldn't
> find what library is causing the dependency on Boost.Test though.

I just built each library separately, and the results are enlightening.

Based on the list of libraries that b2 prints the building/not building
status for, these are all results that are different from what I
expected to get:

- coroutine2: No statics, DLL for context, no output for coroutine2

- metaparse: Statics for chrono, system, timer, unit_test_framework,
              no output for metaparse

- test: Statics and DLLs for chrono, system, test_exec_monitor, timer,
         DLLs for prg_exec_monitor, unit_test_framework,
         no output explicitly named "test"

I did not attempt python, and had no build activity for mpi and
graph_parallel, which is clearly due to missing external dependencies.

However, I found the culprit, and it looks like I've been chasing wild
geese all the time. test has a dependency on timer, which pulls in
chrono and system. Building --without-test gives, at last, the expected
result.

Anyway, libs/metaparse/build/Jamfile.v2 looks like it may not be meant
to be used when building all libraries, and I think there is something
wrong with coroutine2 also; its config.hpp and Jamfile.v2 do not seem
quite clear on whether it is "coroutine" or "coroutine2" or
"couroutines2". But I'm just guessing here.

--
Christian