Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] Stacktrace library starts review today 14th Dec
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-15 02:08:31

> In the documentation for stacktrace I do not see anything about what level
> of C++ is required for a compiler using the stacktrace library or any
> information on what compilers have been tested when using the library.

It's C++98. Tested on latest clang(c++03, c++11), gcc(c++98, c++11,
c++1y), msvc.

> In the section of "Build, Macros and Backends" I do not think there is
> enough information about using a particular backend, other than saying that
> you need to link with such-and-such. Does stacktrace "automatically" find
> the header files it needs from these backends ? Even so I think some
> information about where it looks for the backend header files need to be
> given. I also think that some information of what libraries it looks to link
> with needs to be given. I am assuming it links with the static versions of
> these backend libraries unless I define either BOOST_STACKTRACE_LINK and
> BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK, or BOOST_STACKTRACE_DYN_LINK. What if I want to use the
> header-only version but I want to link with the shared library backend ? I
> also assume that if I link with the static library backend I should probably
> be linking with the RTL static library, while if I link with the shared
> library backend I should also be linking with the RTL shared library.
>
> What about 32-bit versus 64-bit use of stacktrace ? Do they both work as
> advertised with the correct backends, whether static or shared ? I think the
> "Build, Macros and Backends" need rto be expanded to cover alol these
> topics.

All the headers are found automatically and the library is header only
if you do not define BOOST_STACKTRACE_LINK or
BOOST_STACKTRACE_DYN_LINK.

Backend is chosen automatically in header only mode. You need to do
nothing, unless you encounter some problems on default setup (like you
OS is POSIX but not LSB Core Specification 4.1) or unless you wish to
disable stacktraces.

If you define BOOST_STACKTRACE_LINK or BOOST_STACKTRACE_DYN_LINK you
have to manually link with one of the backends.

I'll try to improve the "Build, Macros and Backends" section to be more clear.

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin