Subject: Re: [boost] [Stacktrace] review
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-16 14:05:26

On 16 Dec 2016 at 12:37, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> But you touched another interesing subject: does the library have the
> capability of loading debug symbols to interpret the backtrace? Because
> if it doesn't then the attached stacktraces will be nearly useless for
> stripped binaries (which they all are when distributed in packages).

Are you saying this information is not in Stacktrace's documentation?
Or it is insufficiently clear?

> > (Regarding that latter point, that's what both Nat and I [in the
> > pre-review] were talking about as a feature request, that the raw trace
> > could be serialised and decoded later on a separate machine with access
> > to the corresponding symbol files. This practice is not uncommon in
> > Windows with minidumps and pdb files.)
>
> I think, with load address randomization, the stacktrace alone is not
> enough for that. You'd need a core dump of the process to interpret the
> backtrace.

No, you just need the offset into each module. I did suggest to
Antony in my pre-manager review that he needed a serialisation
mechanism which dumps out module paths plus offsets in a format
consumable by tooling such as addr2line.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/