Subject: Re: [boost] [Stacktrace] review
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-16 23:36:57

On 12/16/16 4:32 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> I am not saying that it is impossible to let the user decide if library
> functions throw or use some other error reporting mechanism, only that if
> the user is given that choice, it makes C++ exceptions useless to the
> library developer, because he must always define behavior for the error
> branch, like a C programmer must. This is error-prone and can be costly,
> both in terms of development effort and run-time overhead.
>
> Emil

The long and short of this is:

a) boost::throw_exception can do whatever it's developer (you) wants it to.

b) stacktrace can do whatever it's developer want's it to.

c) Library X developers can either accept these choices or they can
permit their users to specify error handling through a parameter. We
can't and wouldn't want to inhibit them from making the best choice in
the context of the library they are writing.

There's no conflict here and nothing has to be agreed upon.

Robert Ramey