Subject: Re: [boost] [Stacktrace] review, please stop discussing non-Stacktrace issues
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-17 13:22:27

Antony Polukhin wrote:

> Ok, but the signal documentation does not allow to use a lot of functions
> in signal handlers (syscalls, malloc, printf...). Am I allowed to use COM
> functions in signal handlers?

The signal handlers are fake, they aren't really signal handlers. A crash
generates a structured exception on Windows, and the runtime calls the
appropriate signal handler when handling that exception. I'm not 100% sure
what can be done in a SEH handler, but calling Windows API functions is
certainly possible, and this specific COM use - loading an inproc handler
and calling it - should be fine too. (In some rare situations, such as
crashes in constructors of static objects in DLLs, the loader lock may cause
a deadlock, but that's life.)