Subject: Re: [boost] Variadic append for std::string
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-18 11:30:26

I agree re naming. concat() or concatenate() seems a better fit.

I also share your unease re formatting. I have of course shoehorned the
ostream formatters in here without thinking it through deeply (there is
also the issue of the separator getting formatted, so any sequence of
formatters must be executed *after* the separator has been applied, and
formatters really ought to restore previous state.

I think it's reasonable to develop a series of lightweight function object
factories that provide trivial formatting objects in the same way that
std::quoted does for std::ostream.

In that case, it is perfectly reasonable to do away with the entire
atrocious ostream performance bottleneck altogether (perhaps there are
questions though, about formatting options and locales?).

Totally agree with returning a string factory. That makes perfect sense.
onto(x) could return the correct kind of wrapper, depending on the argument
type of x. So it could cope with x being for example, std::string&,
std::string const&, std::string&& or std::ostream&.

As an observation, expressing the join as an iterator pair lends itself to
being implemented in terms of std::copy(first, last,
formatting_iterator<...>).

I think this is good for containers, but for a series of disjoint types, or
for joining words (as opposed to letters), you'd still need some templatery.

boost::range springs to mind as a reasonable helper for expressing to
concat (or join) that you want to treat each element of a container.