Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Filesystem v3 - requires wstring - an obstacle to testing the serialization library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-20 21:07:44

On 11/18/2016 12:55 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 11/17/16 9:27 PM, Thomas Trummer wrote:
>>
>>> On 17 Nov 2016, at 20:45, John Maddock <jz.maddock_at_[hidden]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I've posted these before, but here are the
>>> serialization build/linker errors I see locally:
>>
>> For completeness I’ll also post the reason for this problem again:
>>
>> The problem is that "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL" expands to
>> "__attribute__((__dllimport__))" in "singleton.hpp" when it is
>> included from files that don't define "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SOURCE"
>> e.g. "binary_iarchive.cpp”.
>
> How is that a problem? Isn't that what's it's supposed to do? Note
> that this isn't failing for any other windows platforms.
>
> After I posted that message, I found that it ony applied to mngw 3.4.
>
> Other versions of mngw (4.x) don't display errors because the test
> matrix truncates the error messages. Or the library fails to build and
> the test matrix doesn't display any error messages at all.
>
> The test matrix "platform"
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/igaztanaga-develop-gcc-6-1c++14.html
> doesn't reveal whether this is a build of a shared or static library. So
> it's impossible to see what's happening here.
>
> Don't get the impression that I don't appreciate the extra input, but I
> really need a definitive solution in the test system itself.

I have fixed this problem using mingw(-64)/gcc on Windows with PR
https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/pull/51. There is still a
problem with the wide character serialization library build with
mingw(-64)/gcc on Windows revolving around visibility and exporting of
codecvt_null<wchar_t> functionality. The latter problem does not occur
with gcc on Linux.