Subject: Re: [boost] Moving away from SourceForge
From: Diego Rodriguez-Losada (diego.rlosada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-23 12:44:29

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this has been discussed in the past, but I would like to revive the
> discussion about moving away from SourceForge as Boosts' release hosting
> provider. SourceForge has at least the following issues:
>
> - There is no way of controlling the format when downloading an archive of
> the latest release. This can break people that rely on this in their CI
> scripts. For example, Metabench's[1] CI was broken for a while when the
> archive changed from .bz2 to .zip.
>
> - SourceForge has been in the middle of some controversies[2].
>
> - Their reliability has not been so great. In the past year, I've had quite
> a few of my Travis jobs fail due to SourceForge being unresponsive.
>

> There are most likely other concerns, but these are the ones that really
> bite
> me as a user right now. Am I the only one? If there's some push to do the
> move,
> the two main candidates I see would be
>
> - GitHub's native hosting
> - Bintray
>
> Thoughts?
> Louis

Hi all,

As part of JFrog, I would like to offer Bintray services for this
migration. Bintray counts with several features that could be relevant for
the Boost community and users:

* Not stagnating - 2 billion downloads a month and growing
* Backed up by Akamai – the most powerful CDN in the world for faster
downloads
* Watches and badges – uses can follow and get notifications when new
versions are released
* Organizations support – people that create and publish Boost can be part
of the organization with powerful permissions
* REST API – tooling around resolution and deployments of Boost, it's very
easy and powerful with Bintray

Bintray will sponsor the hosting, so no costs for the Boost community, in a
similar way as JFrog did for hosting the Mac OSX Homebrew binary bottles.
We might be able to also provide support for executing the migration,
writing scripts for copying the artifacts from sourceforge, etc.

Best

Diego

Diego Rodriguez-Losada
Senior SW Engineer @JFrog