Subject: Re: [boost] Variadic append for std::string
From: Christof Donat (cd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-24 04:45:18

Hi,

Sorry for the unfinished mail. I just was unable to handle my mail
client correctly :-(

Am 24.01.2017 10:07, schrieb Richard Hodges:
> It seems to me that since c++17 is going to have string_view, and boost
> already does, then there should be a to_string_view free function to
> return
> the view of a temporary.

But where will the temporary live then? Someone will have to free the
memory.

> basic ADL interface something like this:

I didn't get that part. What exactly does ADL stand for?

> Furthermore, since the entire web is now (thankfully) UTF8, I strongly
> feel
> that there should be a utf8 version, which accepts wide and narrow
> strings
> and emits them correctly.

UTF-8 is 8 bits only. Just some characters take more than a single byte.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Anyway, I agree, that we should have a wide char version as well for
UTF-16 support.

Christof