Subject: Re: [boost] Moving away from SourceForge
From: Diego Rodriguez-Losada (diego.rlosada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-26 04:17:20

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Jeff Trull <edaskel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

> > the two main candidates I see would be
> >
> > - GitHub's native hosting
> > - Bintray
> >

> I think someone may have gotten there already!
> https://bintray.com/boostorg
>
> I understand they are moving to support conan.io packages (and have hired
> the developers!).

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that boostorg account was created before this discussion by René, Tom
& others, but failed due to make it work due to Boost large sizes and
default Bintray OSS quotas.
We just raised the OSS quota for boostorg, so they can try again.

Please tell me any other possible issue you might have. I think there was
also some interrupted transfers.
To be honest, in my experience that is a typical thing depending on the
network, not the service. I experience failures in AWS S3 transfers more
often than desired too.
But please tell me, and I will handle the issues with the Bintray team.

Yes, JFrog have hired the Conan developers, in fact one of them is me :)
It is possible that we will provide Bintray support for conan packages, as
this is one of the long standing feature request for conan.io, as bintray
is much more powerful than conan.io.
It might take some time. So far, conan has already been integrated with
Artifactory.

However, this is an independent effort, I saw Louis Dionne email proposing
github or Bintray (I agree that SourceForge might not be the best
distribution channel), and some responses about github limitations.
So I decided to try to promote this sponsoring for the Boost community
inside JFrog. Other relevant projects, as OSX homebrew did it in the past,
and I thought Boost deserved it too.

Cheers,
Diego