Subject: [boost] [outcome] Feedback on parts A and B of Tutorial mk III requested
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-30 05:19:11

Dear Boost,

I am truly hoping that this will be the last time I ask for feedback on
Outcome's tutorial as this is the third complete rewrite. Many thanks
for all the feedback so far, this Mk. III tutorial wouldn't look like
this without all your help.

Part A is 100% on pure expected<T, E> as currently before the standards
committee. It has nothing to do with Outcome, but places Outcome in context.

Part B is a polemic on why people should not use arbitrary type E in
expected<T, E> and instead should restrain themselves to either E =
std::error_code or E = std::exception_ptr.

I'm requesting feedback on parts A and B of the tutorial which I think
are mostly complete now. Specific feedback on these topics is
particularly welcomed:

1. I've tried to make some of the code examples in Part A less
contrived. Are there any obviously specific additional things I can do
(note Parts B and C have more realistic programs)?

2. Are you convinced by the end of Part B that using arbitrary types for
type E is a bad idea? If not, what did I fail to do in my explanation?

Many thanks in advance.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting