Subject: Re: [boost] [testing] Need optimization help!!!
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-01 14:20:51

On 2/1/17 10:35 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> And then the fun part of finding out what programs get run and what is
>> slow :-)
>
> From the look of it, most of the time is spent in "Generating links files".
>
> The architecture looks a bit odd. If I understand it correctly, the test
> runners generate a big .xml file, it's zipped, uploaded, the report
> script downloads all zips and then generates the whole report.
>
> It would be more scalable for the test runners to do most of the work.
> For instance, what immediately comes to mind is that they could generate
> the so-called links files directly instead of combining everything into
> one .xml which is then decomposed back to individual pages.

Hmmm - making just one page of errors for each library and tester rather
than a page for each test would help me out. this would eliminate the
truncation of the error messages and diminish the number of potential
linked pages (in the serialization library) by a factor of about 1000.
that might help performance.

> Longer term we could ...

But once we start doing that, we'll end up re-architecting the whole
thing! Which is what I would very much like to see. But I wouldn't
want to impose such a task on anyone.

Robert Ramey