Subject: Re: [boost] Status of Visual Studio 2017 support
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-14 13:01:44

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In the mid of 2016, PR "Add support for Visual Studio 15" [1]
> was merged into develop and eventually into master branch.
> Although the patch was released in Boost 1.63.0,
> the release notes [2] are silent about that update.

We never officially support, and hence don't mention in release notes,
support for unreleased toolsets. Even if we work toward supporting such
pre-releases.

> That is about Boost.Build, which I assume is the first to be updated to
> support a new toolkit.

Yes, it's a basic requirement.

I haven't checked current commits history of individual libraries.

Status of VS2017 support in individual libraries may be at different stages.

<http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html>

> Could anyone clarify any of these points:
> - Does Boost.Build in Boost 1.63.0 officially support VS2017?

No. As msvc-15 is not released yet.

> - Is there any schedule to fully support VS2017 in Boost 1.64.0?

No. As msvc-15 is not released yet.

> - Or, is that left at discretion of maintainers of individual libraries
> and VS2017 support might be reached gradually over several releases
> instead of in a single shot?

Yes, and support for any toolset, even the really old ones, is always an
incremental work in progress. See the results linked above.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything