Subject: Re: [boost] Status of Visual Studio 2017 support
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-14 13:28:48

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:01 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the mid of 2016, PR "Add support for Visual Studio 15" [1]
> was merged into develop and eventually into master branch.
> Although the patch was released in Boost 1.63.0,
> the release notes [2] are silent about that update.
> That is about Boost.Build, which I assume is the first to be updated to
> support a new toolkit.
>
> I haven't checked current commits history of individual libraries.
> Status of VS2017 support in individual libraries may be at different stages.
>
> Could anyone clarify any of these points:
> - Does Boost.Build in Boost 1.63.0 officially support VS2017?
> - Is there any schedule to fully support VS2017 in Boost 1.64.0?
> - Or, is that left at discretion of maintainers of individual libraries
> and VS2017 support might be reached gradually over several releases
> instead of in a single shot?

Looking at the dates, that patch was in June 2016 when VS2017 was not
released yet, and Boost 1.63 was released in December 2016 when VS2017
had still not released yet. Seems normal that VS2017 isn't one of the
supported implementations yet.

I imagine once VS2017/VC15/14.1 releases, the next Boost release after
that will aim to support it.

By then we'll probably also have working testers at:
1. http://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html
2. http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html

I see it happen organically (and generally quickly) once a new
implementation is officially released.

Glen